PART ONE: Abs, Abs, and More, well, abs!
Note: In this tutorial we used the Weighted Exercise Hoop Vinyl Tapes. However, you can use any hoop to perform these exercises.
Today’s challenge teaches you how to challenge your abdominals and core with additional exercises using your hoop. If you find these challenging, make the modifications suggested in the video and always begin any new exercise conservatively to avoid excessive soreness. If you are just beginning to do core work, please don’t do more than one set of these exercises.
- Watch the video called “5 Minute Hula Hoop Ab Sequence”.
- Practice the trick you are having most difficulty with at least fifteen times today.
- If you have additional time, include 15 minutes of “free hooping”.
In Part Two of our challenge, we are continuing on with our discussion of habits and superfood nutrition. Specifically, what types of fat to include in your diet and when to eat them.
5 Minute Hula Hoop Ab Sequence
PART TWO: NUTRITION
Continuing on with our healthy habits series, our final habit is to ensure optimal fat intake daily. Dietary fat plays six major roles in the body:
- Provides an energy source
- Helps create and balance hormones
- Forms cell membranes
- Forms brain and nervous systems
- Transports fat soluble vitamins A,D,E, and K
- Provides two essential fatty acids the body can’t make (linoleic acid and linolenic acid)
A good rule of thumb is about 30% fat from your diet. It is important to note that among individuals with very specific body composition or sport specific performance goals, these levels can vary. But for most of us, 30% is a solid strategy for ensuring healthy fat distribution.
The balance between saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats is critical and something that most people are not paying much attention to. Aim for 1/3 of your daily fat intake from each of these sources to maximize health, body composition and even athletic performance.
The chart below is an easy cheat sheet that makes this super easy.
This Challenge Contributed by:
ACE Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Nutrition Specialist
For new videos, find me on Instagram: @leighdavislittle
Find me on Facebook!